Boys

Our boys are very active, they love to be outside and do just about anything to get out of the house. Even with the age difference one thing they agree on is skateboarding. If you drive by our street there are usually some of the neighborhood boys out on boards. David and Reid both lost skateboarding a few months ago. David was on restriction and we were in California. We got a call that he was on the way to the emergency room. Come to find out he was skateboarding while on restriction just hours after it snowed. Not the best choice on his part, a sprained ankle and an ER visit that reached way past the budget. Not to mention how stressed I was being 2 states away and not able to do anything or know the damage. Reid, lost skateboarding just a couple weeks before David. We found out that he climbed up on top of our shed and decided to skateboard off the roof into the neighbors backyard. He was so lucky we didn't have an ER visit out of that one. We found out as Mike was out in the garage building something. Dad took the circular saw and cut the board in half. After both incidents I let both the boys know they would NEVER skateboard again. They tried to bargain and even said when they turn 18 and are in their own house they could? I said, no NEVER again. Well for Christmas both boys had skateboarding on their list. Mike and I talked about it and did think that they could eventually earn skateboarding back. We weren't sure when but knew we would make them sign a contract and have some major rules.


Finally the warm weather (fifties) was killing them and they kept asking if they would be able to earn it back. If we had talked about it. Mike told them he wanted them to write a contract, make a power point presentation and a presentation that lasted about 20 minutes. We had dinner at another families house last night so we got home late. The boys were jumping out of their skin to give us the presentation.
Sunday night they also agreed to clean up the kitchen after dinner. They did all the dishes and did an amazing job. They've just had to sweat a little more with the presentation. They took the task at hand very seriously and had a great presentation. They have earned skateboarding back but we haven't told them yet!

(we took the pictures with a cell phone but just couldn't resist)

3 comments:

  1. Excellent Dani!! What a great idea...have them do a power point presentation AND sign a contract! You guys rock at parenting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a mother of many boys, I am going to have to put this one in my pocket and save it! I love the consequence, that it took a lot of thought and effort, and the contract is a fabulous idea! Thanks for sharing, so one day I can use it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with the other commenters ... what a great idea! I love boys because they are so fearless, but reining them in has always been difficult for me. I too am keeping this one in my back pocket for future use!

    ReplyDelete

ROAD TRIP July 2009

Halloween 2009

Found an old picture of the kids in 2003. Thought it would be a fun way to see how much they've grown. Pretty soon I'll be lucky if they'll take a picture for me! 3 out of 5 pumpkins made it to the porch! David carved way too much and it sort of fell apart. (why it is on his head) Haley tripped on the front porch and the pumpkin flew to its end. While comforting Haley something happened to Reid's pumpkin and it ended up in 2 peices. We're just happy we got to carve pumpkins this year!

Disneyland 11/08

daisy path

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

map

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger