HOLIDAY SPIRIT


Our house is finally getting decorated for the holiday. We have attended a Creche display at our church. There were over 200 different Nativity scenes on display. They also had some beautiful music throughout the open house. We were able to get there during the hand bells. It was beautiful and really great to hear, that still didn't get us in the mood to decorate though.


This weekend we had a Christmas program and dinner at church. Someone went into amazing detail with the menu and was able to feed a lot of families. Reid was Joseph, Laura an Angel and Haley one of the stable animals in the Nativity scene. The primary children sang along with other musical numbers from members in the ward. I was excited to be there until they asked me to say the closing prayer. Mike graciously answered for me and said I would love to! Yes, he is still alive.


After we left the church Mike said he had an idea. He drove to walmart where I was sure he was buying more peppermint ice cream since the kids finished it all in less then 24 hours. But whatever he got was put in the back of the suburban. He just kept driving. We drove all the way downtown then got back on the freeway as if we were coming home. Then he quickly stopped on the ramp to the freeway. We were all puzzled; then as he was getting out of the car he said David give me a hand. They both jumped out of the car opened the back of the truck and started walking into the bushes. So being me I jumped out shut the back doors (in case we had to drive off fast) and watched as they walked into the darkness with some boxes in their arms. When they got back into the truck we found out they had delivered some food, water and candy canes to a homeless camp that is near the downtown area. This started a huge discussion that eventually brought us to the true meaning of Christmas. It also helped bring the holiday spirit into our home. We had piddled around with some decorations but finally everyone was ready to really decorate.



























4 comments:

  1. i had no idea there was a homeless camp. That's so cool that you guys dropped stuff off. I love reading about your family. You guys are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!How tall it your tree?? 11 ft? ANd I noticed you have your snow globes out! Looks great Dani! What a good guy MIke is to do that for the homeless. ANd I know that help jump start your Christmas! ♥ya

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing thing to do! And such a wonderful lesson for your kids. That night that it got down into the negative teens and was super windy I saw a news segment on the homeless camp. It's heartbreaking! I am glad they have people like you all watching out for them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome!! What a great way to start the holiday season. I bet those homeless people will never forget that. I haven't really felt very "christmasey" this season. Maybe I need to do something like that. Thanks for the great idea! Your decorations look great!

    ReplyDelete

ROAD TRIP July 2009

Halloween 2009

Found an old picture of the kids in 2003. Thought it would be a fun way to see how much they've grown. Pretty soon I'll be lucky if they'll take a picture for me! 3 out of 5 pumpkins made it to the porch! David carved way too much and it sort of fell apart. (why it is on his head) Haley tripped on the front porch and the pumpkin flew to its end. While comforting Haley something happened to Reid's pumpkin and it ended up in 2 peices. We're just happy we got to carve pumpkins this year!

Disneyland 11/08

daisy path

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

map

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger