
Since last September, over 350 youth ages 12-18 of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in northern Colorado Springs and Monument have been practicing almost every week to participate in this month's A Gathering of Nations: Youth Dance Festival. There are many different styles of dance from countries all over the world being performed. Reid was in the Capoeria (from Brazil), Reid and Laura were in the Tininkling (from the Philippines), Krystal was in the cha cha, irish dance and square dance. David was in square dance. All four of them were in the beginning dance that opened the dance festival.
Krystal in the cha cha. David bailed on her last minute so she danced with Brother H who was the instructor. She was so serious but did a wonderful job.
Reid was in this Brazilian dance. It was a form of dance that they were able to practice martial arts. During one of the kicks Reid kicked Steven in the face. But they all turned out fine.
This was the HAKA from New Zealand. I didn't have any kids in this dance but they boys that came out would yell at the audience. At one of the performances they yelled in Mikes face. He yelled back. Well at the end when all the kids were coming out in their different costumes the head dancer of these young men yelled in my face. He was so close that he actually touched my nose with his tongue! GROSS.....the thing I was proud of is that he could walk away and I didn't flinch. For me....that is huge.
Haley was a trooper and watched all three performances. During one of the intermissions she went out and did the chicken dance with a lot of the other kids watching. She is already looking forward to when she gets to be in the dance festival.
There is so much I could say about the dance festival. It was a lot of hard work, challenging practice times and commitment, I am proud all the kids pulled it off.
When I was a teen we had dance festival, and still have fond memories of it. I'm so grateful that the kids were able to be involved in such wonderful amazing performances.
http://csfreshink.com/group/briargate/forum/topics/gathering-of-nations-youth











Laura was right in front of us when she did the ribbon dance. She was awesome!
ReplyDeleteI heard it was great. Wish our stake did something like that. Glad your kids had fun.
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing accomplishement! We were going to go Saturday night, but with the weekend we had, we just couldn't make it work...and I am SO sad!! It looks incredible.
ReplyDeleteI love the dance festivals! Went to my first one when I was in high school, before I joined the church. Such fun, such energy! It's so great to see these kids dancing like that. How great that your children participated. Neat! Wish I'd been there. :D
ReplyDelete